Skin Health and Aging
- Wrinkles, age spots, bruising and dryness are things your skin sees more of as it ages.
- Skin is the body’s largest organ, and is sensitive to a variety of health and environmental factors.
- Sun exposure is a primary cause of skin aging, as is smoking.
- Skin cancer is the most serious of skin diseases. Because skin cancer is rarely painful it often goes undetected or unaddressed.
- The “ABCDE’s” of skin cancer can be used to remind people of all ages what to be on the lookout for:
- A: Asymmetry, where one side of a growth looks different from the other side.
- B: Borders that are irregular.
- C: Color changes within the growth, or more than one color within it.
- D: Diameter greater than the size of a pencil eraser.
- E: Evolving, or changing in size, shape, color or symptoms such as itching.
- For seniors with mobility problems, bed sores can become a serious problem.
Where to turn for more info: